Andrew Connell, a SharePoint MVP, hosted two introduction to SharePoint 2010 webinars for developers over the last couple of days in conjuction with DevExpress. These were a really good concise introduction to SharePoint development. I would recommend that anyone who is interested in getting started with SharePoint development take a couple of hours to check these out.
In a MOSS 2007 installation we have a site with a wiki library. The wiki library has been customized a bit with event handlers to do some fancy automatic permission assignments to individual wiki pages and prevent some users from approving wiki pages that they are not allowed to. This was done so that every user is able to add, read, edit wiki pages but let individual identified users handle the approval of the pages in a large wiki library. These details are probably inconsequential.
The real problem is there is a single user who can can read, add, and edit wiki pages. He is also assigned to approve some wiki pages. However, when he attempts to view the history of a wiki page for approval he gets an access denied error. The history page for a wiki page in a wiki library is an application page (in _layouts directory) with the following path: http://<path to sharepoint site>/_layouts/VersionDiff.aspx?ListID=<my wiki library id>&ID=<id for the wiki page>&Source=<return path>
The user also experiences this error when clicking the link to view incoming links. The path for this page is: http://<path to sharepoint site>/_layouts/BackLinks.aspx?ListID=<my wiki library id>&ID=<id for the wiki page>
This user has the following permissions being applied:
Site Permissions – Limited Access
List Permissions – Limited Access
Item Permissions – Design
This user is also part of a domain group which has the following permissions being applied:
Site Permissions – Limited Access
List Permissions – Contribute
Item Permissions – Contribute
I started a thread in the TechNet SharePoint forum in hopes of finding someone who has run into this problem before. Thanks to the folks in the forums, there were a few suggestions on how to resolve the problem. Unfortunately, I didn’t have the opportunity to try most of these. But here are the suggestions:
Delete the user from the SharePoint site and re-add the user and re-apply permissions.
Recreate the AD account
Assign a higher level privillege to a parent object (This is the band aid that I applied which resolved the problem)
I came across the request for this from a client I was working with. The client pointed me to some research he found on web (one link from MSDN and another from another blog). After some reading and further research, I found a great post that walks you through doing this.
Essentially, the solution is to wrap the SiteActions control with a SPSecurityTrimmedControl in the master page. The only trick to this is identifying the appropriate permission string to use for the control so you do not remove the menu from users who will actually need to use it. The string can easly be composed after reviewing the set of users (or a group of users) who will need access and checking the rights associated permission levels granted those users (or group).
I recently had to integrate jCarousel into a SharePoint web part. Since jCarousel is a plugin for jQuery, it means I also had to get jQuery integrated with SharePoint. In order to accomplish this, I followed some good feature packaging instructions found from a few different blog posts:
After figuring out how to package jCarousel and jQuery using SharePoint delegate controls, I was ready for business with the implementation of the web part.
The web part itself was nothing fancy. I used a Repeater control to generate the list item (LI) elements with the content I needed in the carousel. I wrapped the Repeater in an unordered list (UL) which was wrapped in a DIV tag that had the runat attribute set to server. So basically, I just followed the mark up instructions provided in the jCarousel documentation.
The wrapping DIV tag was used in my webpart code to initialize jCarousel. The code snippet below shows how I implemented it: